Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Townhouse Homestead Tuesday

Saltine Crackers

The real reason saltine crackers are a staple in my pantry is not because they are wanted with ginger ale in the recovery of some major bugs going around, but because of stuffing. Yes stuffing. I hear so much about recipes and how people ate during the depression and during the recovery. I have been making this recipe for dressing (fancier word) for many years and never wrote it down. This year I finally wrote it down and placed it in my recipe box for friends and family to have. Here it is and don't feel like you have to make it. This is just something I grew up with and the reason I buy saltine crackers.



1 pound saltine crackers crushed in a large bowl
1.5 Tbs. poultry seasoning
1 large onion chopped
4 large celery stalks chopped
1 stick salted butter
2 eggs
2 Cups water

1) Saute butter, onions, celery and poultry seasoning together in a skillet until onions and celery are cooked through. 
2) Crush crackers in a large bowl, add sauteed onions and celery and mix well with the crackers. It will be dry but the crackers will cool the butter, onions and celery so you can use your hands if needed.
3) Mix in the eggs and water until quite wet, put in an 8x8 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. 

This was served with gravy and it was called our meatless depression meal. I make this about four times a year. It is my Thanksgiving staple, but is great with roasted chicken or pork. It also freezes well for a couple of months. I use vacuum seal bags to keep it fresh.



For the holiday yesterday I made strawberry shortcake in my daughters new to her lime green Pyrex round baking dish. I also used the square one for my stuffing. 


I have been saving egg shells and coffee grounds in a half gallon jar this week. They are going to be added to my tomato plants that I'm going to transplant this week. I have a place to grow them since I can't here at the townhouse. Whatever happens, happens, but succeed or fail I'll have given it a try. 


This is how far the tomatoes have come and I'm excited that they have done this well. These are container tomatoes so I'll post the progress over the summer. Wish me luck. 

That's what's going on at the townhouse as far as cooking and growing. I know someday I'll be doing more, but for now I have a place to garden thanks to a friend of my younger daughter. Thank you for stopping by to read my blog and have a great week. 

No comments: