Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Town House Homestead Tuesday

First an update. My thrift store cast iron Dutch oven finally got to a point where I felt comfortable using it. It turned out better than I expected.


Not perfect, but with use now it will become more seasoned. This was my maiden meal with it and it was so delicious.


I roasted a six pound chicken with lemon and rosemary in my convection oven. Next time I will roast using the regular baking feature because it needed to crisp up a bit. I will keep practicing with the convection oven and cast iron to find the correct temps and times.


After being held up for two weeks because of Wasps and pulling out insulation to remove the hive and all the clean up, this past weekend my daughter and one of our dear friends spent five hours getting back on course with the basement painting. All walls have two coats and they even managed to paint a second section of the basement that I will be using for my food storage and freezer and we'll have a microwave available for craft projects. You can see the two rooms with the dividing wall. 


This is a comparison photo. The upper picture is after removing the drop ceiling cleaning up old wires and 58 years of who knowss what and patching the cement walls.


She purchase a sheet of peg board and a variety of different pegs to use for her sewing and craft tools. This will hang on the panelled wall where she plans to place tables and her sewing machines.


This is from the back end of the room looking up the stairs and you can see the work in the second room. They will be painting the floor a dove gray this weekend and beginning the cement walls in the third section of the basement which houses the furnace and water heater and most of the house mechanicals. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we will have it more settled, but it is beginning to feel like a useful part of the house and the dungeon is moving out. This has been major work for us and other things have been going on, but they will wait until next week. I have so much to do today and need to take advantage of the cool dry weather. Thank you for stopping by and have a great week. 

No comments: