Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Town House Homestead Tuesday

So we all have them. The "I didn'ts". You all know them, along with the "should we even bothers". It seems some days like the work is endless and the time is not. I could list in fine print on one wall all the I didn'ts. I'm still holding out hope for some to get done. As for the should we even bothers, it's a matter of trying to do something to see things sabotaged by people who don't care. I'm learning to let the things that didn't get done go, but the things that I fight, are too hard to fight, but we must keep going. Living in suburbia means that your neighbors are more interested in a half acre of pretty green grass, that is chemically treated, then they are at saving the bees. This is my biggest "should we even bother" because we have struggled to have a colony and keep them alive. I guess we should be grateful when the neighbors inform us that they are spraying, but please don't let the next question out of your mouth be "When do we get some honey?" So I have let it all go, and will keep moving on with what I can do, and count the blessings for what the universe gives.


I did manage to harvest more sage for holiday cooking along with a good amount of oregano. Shortly after harvesting the cold moved in and it seemed like I did what I needed just in time.


I also harvested a large amount of lemon balm and mint. These grow in five gallon buckets and have now died back to wait out winter.


With snow on the ground and it just being to darn cold for me to be outside working, I have taken out my long over do quilt to continue with. Here I have rough basted the top to the batting. I have had to gate myself off from the puppy to work, but he has to learn to let me work. 


I built the back over the weekend and I have it laid out. I will start rough basting the top and batting to the back in the up coming week. This has been two years in the making and I'm so hoping to get it ready for this winter. I need to decide just how to quilt it once it's basted. Maybe it will get done.


Hunter was too small back in April, when he joined our family, to remember what snow was, but this week he discovered the fun. Thank you Mother Nature for the best puppy entertainment ever. He had to sniff almost every inch of the back yard and it kept him busy for a couple of hours. His blue busy ball conveniently filled with snow when he rolled it and he would shake the snow out and cover himself. So much fun to watch. 


This was my favorite part. Who knew that snow could make a puppy tired. It did not last long. Maybe a twenty minute nap before he was out and at it again. The excitement coming when we have a full blown snow storm is almost too much to wait for. 


Hunter got a new job this week. He became supervisor to the elderly couple next door raking leaves. Besides barking at them, imitating them raking leaves by digging at what he could reach, and running back and forth along the fence, they were feeding him treats. He loves them so much, and they love him too, but I am grateful there is a fence between them. He is very strong and could hurt them without knowing it. The gentleman is 91 years of age and still going and his wife is 86. Some of this work was quite intentional so they could play with him. It makes me happy that he brings them some joy. Well that's what's been keeping us busy this past week. That and getting quotes for attic insulation, more upgrades, and new windows for the house. Getting her up to par will take time and money, but these things have to be done. We will get there. One job at a time. Thank you for stopping by for a visit and have a great week. Share your bounty and love.

No comments: