Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Townhouse Homestead Tuesday

It's that time of year when the days are not as hot and the nights are cool and comfortable, but the heat is still out there. Lurking behind the rain storms and lingering, just waiting for the right moment to frustrate those of us who ask, should I water the plants or just wait a few minutes? It's harvest time and the bounty is beautiful this year. I have been busy trying to preserve all the gifts Mother earth has given.


This is my harvest of Coriander seeds. I am setting some aside for starting a new plant and some will go in a grinder for cooking. 


These are my covert carrots I harvested this weekend. Not a huge amount, but fresh and grown without pesticides. I've added the greens to salads and made carrot top pesto. My daughter and I both agree that it's better than basil pesto. I used three cups of tops and got enough to use in six meals. Blessings come in many forms.


My cheese making adventure continues and for the life of me I don't know why I've never made cheese before. It's so easy and proving quite economical. This weekend was ricotta. Half an hour tops start to finish and it tastes so fresh. Only used one half gallon of whole milk, salt and vinegar. 


I used my home made tomato sauce and cheese to make this wonderful pan of vegetable lasagna. I used sliced zucchini for noodles.


Here it is all baked and with a serving eaten and it is holding up as well as any lasagna made with noodles, but the taste is gourmet.


These are my vegetables for the next couple of weeks. The carrots from my container, two yellow squash that were gifted, a sweet potato that was gifted, large tomatoes, grape, tomatoes, Boston lettuce, new white potatoes, red potatoes, onions, four peppers all different colors and a large amount of jalapeno peppers to stuff and freeze for cooking. Everything that wasn't gifted came to $11 at the farmer's market. It was a great day for the market Saturday and the bounty was beautiful. So many choices and wonderful prices for good eating. That's what's been happening here at the homestead. Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful week. Enjoy the bounty and blessings of Mother Earth. 

No comments: