Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Townhouse Homestead Tuesday

It's been getting busier here at the townhouse, but every minute of busy is so welcomed and wonderful. I am so grateful for my wonderful life. 


With summer heat underway and my desire to eat better I continue to bake my own bread. This loaf of French bread was used for sides to salads, bruschetta and sandwiches. The rolls have been frozen for up coming holiday hamburgers and hot dogs. 


The oldest of our lavender plants bloomed this week and we have double the harvest of last year. As you can see it is hanging to dry for future use in soaps, lotions and salts.


My sage plant is growing well. I harvested a large colander full and made six sage bundles. They are drying well and I think I know some folks who can use some in their campfire to ward off mosquitos.


In a previous post I shared a gift of Kentucky bourbon and this week I made bourbon barbecue sauce. It is out of this world. I got some free frozen chicken this week and last evening I made bourbon barbecue pulled chicken for dinner and I was able to can two pints for future dinners. I have some sauce left for the 4th of July burgers.


Also canned this week was ground beef. I've never canned ground beef before so I tried while the caner was working. Four pounds became four pints that I could set on the shelf for future meals made easy. That's my goal to make meal preparation quicker and easier. I will be canning vegetable stock in the next couple of days to use up the veggie scraps I've been saving in the freezer and that will give me room in the freezer for more summer meal preps. With an apartment size refrigerator and freezer space becomes valuable. These are just a few of the homesteading activities going on here in our little townhouse this past week. We are thankful for what we have and that we keep finding ways to use the space wisely. We also hope that everyone has a week as wonderful as ours. 

No comments: